Contrary to popular belief, going vegan doesn’t mean eating has to suck. To ensure you are completely convinced of this, I wanted to make every effort to share what I’m feeding my active and growing family.
First up: Kale & Mushroom Stew. YUM!
We have been eating various versions of this stew for a few years now, but I think this is the version we seem to be happiest with. Even though we’re already into summer, this is a great and easy weeknight meal, and I’m sure will serve many my City (that’s SF for you East Coasters) friends well. You can mix it up for an even heartier version by simply adding some noodles, zucchini and whole peeled tomatoes (but cut back some of the paste) for a more minestrone feel.
What you’ll need:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4-6 red potatoes, cut into 1/2″ wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 pound mushrooms (white or crimini), trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low sodium veggie broth (Imagine makes a good one)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bunches kale, leaves ripped from stems and torn into chunks
- 1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (optional)
Putting it together:
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, 8 – 10 mins. Once the onions are lightly browned, add the mushrooms and thyme, season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 mins.
- Add the water, veggie broth and tomato paste. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender but not falling apart. About 10 mins.
- Add half the kale and cover for about 2 mins. Add rest of kale and beans. Add the red wine vinegar (if using) and season with salt and pepper
We love eating this with a side of Rosemary and Olive Oil bread and it fills us right up! This recipe easily serves 6, but since it’s just the Man and I eating it, we’re able to stretch it to two nights plus a lunch.